I have not personally visited all the ghost towns on this list. Clark County will be the subject of a future book of mine but current conditions listed, if not visited by myself, are reports from fellow ghosttowners or other literary sources. For additional information, consult Stanley Paher's Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps.
Editor's Note 10/27/03: Many thanks to Bob Maichle from Las Vegas, a knowledgeable historian who greatly helped in expanding this list! Internet users will recognize him as "Another Bob" on ghost town posts.
Terminal location for the Barnwell and Searchlight Railroad, later part of the Sante Fe Line. Rather than construct up the hill to Searchlight, the railroad only ran to land owned by the Searchlight Terminal Townsite Company. This flat inexpensive location was about a mile southwest of the town. Abbottsville was a named applied to the station and adjacent buildings as a means of the Searchlight residents expressing their disgust with F.J. Abbott, the managing director of the company. The railroad was completed in the spring of 1907 and operated until a major washout occurred in September of 1923. The railroad was never rebuilt and Abbottsville soon faded. Little remains.
Former station and siding on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later part of the Union Pacific. It was the first station north of Moapa in Meadow Valley Wash. The siding was abandoned in 1949. The station house, out buildings and water tank have long since disappeared and only a keen eye can located evidence of the siding.
A rush developed after alunite was discovered in 1908 but when large deposits weren't discovered, the camp was abandoned by the end of 1909. Only mine dumps are let.
A former station on the Saint Thomas Branch of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later a siding on the Union Pacific. Located between former White Siding and Logandale Siding. Nothing of the station remains today.
An original station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later part of the Union Pacific. Though the station, water tank, and support buildings are no longer present, Apex is still a well used railroad siding and switch location for a spur that runs to the Pabco Gypsum Plant.
ARDEN PLASTER CAMP
A plaster mine opened in 1909 and was operated by the Arden Plaster Company until 1919 when it was sold to U.S. Gypsum. An investigation of the mine site will reviews that there were actually three narrow gauge railroad lines. The eight mile line from the mine to the Arden Plaster Mill at the town of Arden, an upper line servicing the mining tunnels, and a connecting tram rail. The rail grades are still visible but the urban sprawl of Las Vegas is fast encroaching.
ARGENTENA MINE CAMP
Camp associated with the Argentena Mine located south of Goodsprings in the Spring Mountains. While the mine operated off and on from 1927 to 1962, the camp was active for only a couple of years. There were over 900 tons of zinc, 290 tons of lead, 6,000 pounds of copper, 1,000 pounds of silver and smaller amounts of gold and vanadium recovered from the mine.
Former community associated with the quarry and milling complex of the U.S. Lime Products Company plant at the east end of the old Apex Railroad Yard.
A siding and the spur of the former White Star Plaster Comapny on the Saint Thomas Branch of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, now the Union Pacific.
A non-agency station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later Union Pacific and located south of Arden. A shoo-fly RR line was constructed from Bard to Erie running through what is now Southern Highlands and up I-15 and used until the tunnel and grading of the permanent line from Bard, through Sloan to Erie was constructed. The Bard Siding was abandoned in 1945. Bard took its name from the nearby Bard Mining District. Little remains.
Siding on the former Bureau of Reclamation railroad located at the Babcock & Wilcox steel fabrication plant adjacent to the road to Hoover Dam. Although the railroad is long gone, there is still much to see.
A gas station and stop on old Highway 91 south of Jean. There is an old mill site and other ruins nearby. Nothing much remains.
Mining camp associated with activity on Bonanza Hill (now called Root Hill). The Root, Singer and McVicar mines were nearby and Bonanza actually supported a school in 1916. Singer Wash and Bonanza Wash are interesting places to explore.
Ferry and adjacent community that developed after Daniel Bonelli bought Stone's Ferry and moved it upstream to the junction of the Virgin and Colorado River. Bonelli Ferry was the main river crossing for Mohave County, Arizona for mining camps like White Hillls, Cerbat, Mineral Park to get supplies in from Southern Utah. Bonelli's Ferry is now under Lake Mead.
A station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR settled in 1905. The phasing out of steam power en
Siding and wye on the Union Pacific Railroad between Bracken and Pierce where the Boulder City branch left the main line. Engulfed by business buildings, this railroad locale remains today.
A station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR located five miles south of Las Vegas. Bracken was a major siding until steam power was phased out in 1949. Today, Bracken has been engulfed by the Las Vegas Strip.
A manned siding on the Nevada side of the Arizona bridge on the Boulder Damn construction railroad. It was located just before the bridge across the Colorado River on the railroad to the gravel pits on the Arizona side and 4.7 miles from Gravel Plant. It was near the bridge, hence locale was named Bridge. Bridge is under Lake Mead now.
BRINGHURST (Los Vegas, Las Vegas)
A post office, established August 1, 1855, at Las Vegas Mission, New Mexico Territory, was named for William Bringhurst by postal officials "because there was already one named Vegas in New Mexico..." The Bringhurst post office was discontinued September 22, 1860. The next post office would be named "Los Vegas" as the officials didn't want to confuse patrons with the much larger Las Vegas, New Mexico in June 1893. The misnomer continued until December of 1903.
A siding and railroad community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later the Union Pacific which was abandoned in 1949. Today, the name lives on in the Byron interchange on I-15.
A river crossing settlement established in 1864, which served as the original county seat of Pahute County, Arizona. A very important freight center and river landing. However, use faded during the late 1860s and the town was abandoned by 1869. The adventurous can still visit Callville's many stone ruins but you will need scuba gear since the site is now under Lake Mead.
Camp associated with the Azurite Mine. Although this mine operated intermittenly from 1910 to 1947, the principal production was in 1916-1917 when demand rose with the advent of World War I.
1912 mining camp associated with claims of the Square Deal Mining Company.
Turn of the century mining camp named for George Duncan, had activity from 1900 to 1910. Camp was located on the side of a small hill, named Mount Duncan.
CAMP DUPONT (Dupont)
Mining camp named for George Dupont who conceived a plan to tunnel into a mountain in the hopes of hitting a rich vein. Dupont had resources but no ore and all operations were stopped by 1910.
CAMP ELDORADO (Eldorado Ferry)
A temprary military camp established on January 15, 1865 to protect the miners of Eldorado Canyon from Indian attack. Soldiers were stationed at Camp Eldorado until August 24, 1867. The site was just north of the mouth of Eldorado Canyon on the west bank of the Colorado River at the Eldorado Ferry crossing. The site of the camp and the ferry are now under Lake Mohave.
Civilian Conservation Corp camp located near St. Thomas. Little remains of this site which is sometimes covered by Lake Mead.
Civilian Conservation Corp camp located in Lee Canyon. This facility was turned over to the Forest Service when the CCC was dissolved. The Forest Service leased the facility to Clark County as a youth camp in 1940. This leased continued at least 25 years.
CAMP SIBERT (Camp Williston)
A military police training camp near Boulder City during World War II. All buildings were moved to the Dvis Dam construction camp in 1946. Apparently renamed Camp Williston during the war, it also provided quarters for the troops that guarded Boulder Dam. Boulder City has engulfed Camp Sibert.
A short lived 1906 mining camp located near Summit Spring, 3 miles east of Searchlight.
Mining camp 16 miles southeast of Searchlight, where John Thurman found gold in about 1906. There was a townsite platted late in 1906 and intense activity for a few years. An occupied mine still exists.
Copper camp near Bunkerville in the Copper King District. District was organized in 1896 and the camp was gone in 1897.
CANE SPRING STATION
Stage station located at the old Huntsman Ranch near the entrance to Meadow Valley above Moapa.
CAPITOL CAMP (Capital Camp)
The camp at the old Capitol Mine, in Capitol Wash about 6 miles southeast of Nelson. The camp was active from 1904 until the 1930s. The last person in Capitol Camp was Yeoman Briggs who purchased the Capitol Mine in 1928 and lived the rest of his life at the camp.
A ferry located between Black Canyon and Boulder Canyon on the Colorado River and operated by James Cashman. The ferry could move 6 to 8 cars at a time. The main road from Kingman to Williamsville and later Boulder City. Ferry operated from 1931 until the lake began to rise behind the finished Boulder Dam.
COMSTOCK (New Comstock)
Service station community along what is now I-15 existed from 1926 to 1959. It was located in California Wash along the highway. Named for Kent Comstock who built the station in 1926. The road was relocated in the late '30s and a single resident remained until a fire consumed the remaining building in 1959.
Short-lived mining camp at Copper Mountain in 1910. Only mine clutter remains. Copper Camp is in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
Mining camp located below the Lincoln Mine, about 2 miles northwest of Gold Butte. Two men, Jack Ward and Fremont Cobb, held claims there, and conflict developed between them, ending with Cobb fatally shooting Ward in early 1906.
Another Copper City was a 1908 mining camp near the Saint Thomas Gap in the Gold Butte area. This Copper City was active for less than two years, nothing remains.
CORN CREEK STATION
Corn Creek was a station on the Las Vegas and Tonopah RR located between Tule Springs Station and Owens siding. There is a small community that has developed in the area as well as the US Fish and Wildlife complex at Corn Creek Springs nearby.
Milling community on Cottonwood Island in the Colorado River. The mill operated from the late 1890s until the early 1930s. Cottonwood Island is now under Lake Mohave.
Between 1863 and 1878, Mexican miners removed more than $500K in gold but Mormons attacked, killed most of the miners, and took over the mines. The town of Crescent came into being in 1904 when new silver deposits were discovered. However, any permanence for Crescent was doomed by the financial panic of 1907 and the town was empty by 1908. Only rubble and foundations remain.
A siding on the Hoover Dam construction railroad above Lake Mead Lodge. Named for Frank Crowe who was the General Superintendent of Construction for Six Companies Boulder Dam Project.
A non-agency station and siding on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, later Union Pacific which was abandoned in 1949. Little remains except dump litter.
A community since the 1920s just downstream from the construction site for Davis Dam. The community grew when the dam was actually built and a post office established May 1, 1947. The community was removed after construction of the dam was completed and the post office was transferred to Mohave County, Arizona on December 1, 1950.
Siding and small railroad community on the Union Pacific Railroad named for the nearby Dike Mining District. Buildings havce disappeared.
Railroad community, water and pumping station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, located in Dry Lake Valley. Dry Lake had a post office from December 3, 1925 to June 30, 1945, and again from January 31, 1950 to December 31, 1955. One residence and the railroad siding remain along with lots of railroad clutter.
Indians and the Spanish mined here for hundreds of years before new discoveries were made in 1861 that led to the formation of the first mining camp in the canyon. A true lawless wild west town for many years. Authorities were afraid to come here. The legendary Techatticup Mine was the mainstay of the town. After a short slowdown, the mines revived in 1905 and a new town Nelson formed. Production was large and the town continued to slowly grow and by 1940, had a population of 600. However, the mines closed in the mid-1940s. Eldorado is now under Lake Mojave but about 50 people still live at Nelson. The Techatticup Mine was recently refurbished and is now open for public tours, a rare opportunity to go underground in an old gold mine.
The mining camp at the old Eldorado Mine, established by Nat Lewis near Huse Spring. The mine had been revived in 1901, with a 25-stamp mill planned but it was never built. Eldorado City was located about a mile east of Nelson.
A bunch of copper claims located near Summit Springs about three miles east of Searchlight, just off the Cottonwood Cove Road. A townsite was laid out in 1906 but nothing materialized.
A mining camp from 1905 to 1910 associated with the Empire Consolidated Mining Company claims.
A major railroad community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR located at the summit between the Las Vegas and Ivanpah Valleys. Erie had a wye and numerous additional steam engines would disconnect at Erie after helping trains up the grades. The importance of this community decreased when the Union Pacific took over railroad operations and more reliable and powerful steam locomotives reduced the dependence on helper engines. The switch to diesel locomotives ended the need for personnel and Erie was abandoned. Today, the siding, rubble and foundations are all that remains.
A non-agency railroad station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR and only a siding and rubble remain. Originally called Guelph, the name was changed to honor Fred Farrier, a railroad official.
A name given to an old polygamist colony and ranch which operated near Winnemuc Hill on the Virgin River in the late 1800s. Area was over grown with tamarisk and no evidence of the colony or later Hardy or Dotson Ranch could be determined.
The fort that never was. The name was applied by Colonel James Carleton in a bulletin issued by him in December of 1861. The orders stated that a company of infantry and three of cavalry would be garrisoned at the old Mormon Fort at Bringhurst (Las Vegas) for the purpose of guarding the road from Salt Lake City to San Bernardino. Colonel Edward Dickinson Baker (1811-1861) is commemorated. However, Army records do not show any troops actually garrisoned during the Civil War. The only actual use of Fort Baker might have by an expedition of Captain George Price which passed through the Las Vegas Valley in June, 1864. It appears that Colonel Carleton's bulletin was for Southern spies as he readied California volunteers at Camp Latham (near Los Angeles) for an Arizona/New Mexico bound march to recapture territory from the Confederate Army.
A short-lived copper camp, active in 1909. Named for Fred Siebert, a mining man it was located in Hemenway Pass. Now engulfed by the community of Boulder City.
A former station on the main line of the Union Pacific RR in Dry Lake Valley and siding between Dry Lake and Apex.
A railroad siding and locale on the Six Companies Railroad. This siding and station was near Williamsville before the railroad entered Black Canyon.
GLASSAND (Stockers Smith)
Siding and area on the Saint Thomas Branch of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, northeast of Overton. Now considered part of Overton.
Mining camp associated with the Gold Butte Mining district. The district, first prospected in 1873, had shipments of mica and copper but gold, discovered in 1905, gave rise to a small mining townsite which was laid out west of Voigt Well. The town hosted a post office from March 1906 to February 1911. The successful mines in the district (Azure Ridge, Big Thing, Bonelli, and Tramp) were located some distance from the community.
Camp associated with original group of claims located by John Thurman in the area near where Camp Thurman would later be situated. The claims were later called the Lloyd-Searchlight.
Silver and lead discovered in 1868 but little was done until 1886 when new discoveries led to the formation of Goodsprings. Named for Joseph Good, a mineral from the Eldorado Canyon who was with a group of prospectors that made the original discoveries. Population grew to 200 by the mid 1890s. Activity continued and the mines had their first $1 million year in 1912. Town declined in the early 1920s but production continued through the 1930s. The mines were active again during the 1950s and total production stands at more than $30 million. The tiny town still exists today.
GREGG'S FERRY (Scanlon's Ferry)
A ferry and small community on the Colorado River, about halfway between Bonelli's Ferry and Pierce's Ferry. Mike Scanlon started it in 1881, constructing a dugway road on the Nevada side. He sold out to Tom Gregg who had sold his first ferry to Daniel Bonelli. Gregg's first ferry was a couple miles downstream from the Virgin River Junction Bonelli established. Gregg's Ferry is now under Lake Mead.
HARDYVILLE (Hardy's Ferry)
Ferry and town on the Colorado River below Harper, Arizona. While most of the town was on the Arizona side, there was a Nevada community as well. Located south of Laughlin.
HART (Hart Siding)
Siding on the Boulder Dam Construction RR near the Gravel Plant. Remains are now under Lake Mead. Named for Phillip Hart, a Six Companies director.
A 1920s camp at the mouth of the Las Vegas River (Wash) and the Colorado River. This was really a mining promotion by King Gillette and John Stetson. It was named for Fred Hesse, who was a surveyor and later mayor of Las Vegas. Now under Lake Mead.
HIDDEN FOREST CAMP
Small logging camp in the Sheep Range. Only one cabin remains.
A townsite plotted as part of a stock promotion scheme for the Frenchman Mine. The scheme was the work of Paul Watelet and C.W. Hillegas and was around a reported gold strike in 1912. The mine name commemorates Watelet, a native Belgian, who was mistakenly thought to be French. The townsite was named to honor Hillegas.
A mining camp on the Colorado River above Cottonwood Cove. The camp is now under Lake Mohave.
The upper level concrete mixing plant on the Nevada side of the canyon during the construction of Boulder Dam. It was near the Nevada side head tower of the aerial tramway.
A depression era tent town in present North Las Vegas. Not to be confused with Hooverville, a 1930s tent town located above the Las Vegas Wash near present-day Henderson.
A depression era tent town associated with the construction of Hoover Dam, located between the Three Kids Mine and Las Vegas Wash.
An 1880s community of up to 200 people in the Spring Mountains. Hornet Springs was on the road from Manse to Indian Creek and received their mail from Mesquite via Mormon Well road.
A construction camp in Meadow Valley wash above Moapa used during the reconstruction of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR after the 1910 flood.
A 1907 copper and zinc mining camp located three miles east of the Potosi Mine at an elevation of 7000 feet. Hussey's camp was well equipped with buildings housing 41 men. The camp was named for R.L. Hussey. The properties were part of the Mountain Quail group's holdings. Several carloads of copper ore were shipped from the mine and while promise was high, Hussey apparently failed as sources reveal nothing about Hussey after 1907.
HUPTON (Huppton, White Star Plaster Company, Gyp Camp)
The White Star Plaster Company built a mill along the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, Saint Thomas Branch. A town soon followed. The name Huppton came from A.C. Hupp, the general manager of the company. There were about 250 men employed. Hupton had a post office (December 1922 - December 1925), school and stores. A narrow gauge railroad connected the quarry site and the mill. Economic failure occurred in 1925 and the company filed for bankruptcy. The town soon faded away.
JACKMAN (Jackson, Narrows)
A railroad siding and community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR, located within the Narrows portion of the Muddy River. Jackman was associated with a gypsum mining operation in Anderson Canyon.
An Indian community about 4 miles below the mouth of Las Vegas Wash at the Colorado River crossing, 1900-1910. The townsite is now under Lake Mead.
A townsite was platted and lots sold along the Boulder Highway near Midway (Henderson). The name was chosen by ranch owner, B.R. Jefferson, one of the kids of the Three Kids Mine.
A community first associated with a siding on the Barnwell and Searchlight Railroad just within Nevada. Area mining activity continued after the railroad failed and some buildings remain.
JUNCTION CITY (Gravel Plant)
A camp associated with a railroad switching point at the gravel plant on the old Six Companies RR. The railroad branched at Junction City, with one line going to the Arizona gravel pits and the other going along the river into Black Canyon to the dam site. The railroad station at Junction City may have been named Gravel Plant.
JUNCTION CITY (Rioville)
Became the crossroads settlement for Mormon travelers beginning in 1869. Abandoned when the Mormons were ordered to return to Utah. They returned in 1880 and the settlement was renamed Rioville. However, the area slowly faded during the 1890s and but retained its post office until 1906. Foundations and rubble remain.
A 1910 itinerant or hobo camp located along the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad before Tule Springs Station. The site is now part of Las Vegas.
Camp associated with the mill site for the Chiquita and Juniper mines. The mill site was active in the late 1890s with an additional mill constructed in 1905, about 25 miles south of Searchlight. The prime of the camp was from 1905 to 1908. Little remains.
Mormon settlement established in 1910. By 1930, 100 residents were farming here. But the farms and town were abandoned to make way for Lake Mead later in the decade. Site is now underwater except during dry periods.
A siding on the Six Companies RR about 2.6 miles north of Gravel Plant. It was named for Felix Kahn.
A 1908 mining camp near the hills south of Cal-Nev-Ari.
A 1910 mining camp associated with a group of claims located by William Kerwin in 1910.
Copper discovered in the 1890s and limited production took place until 1913. Only mine dumps remain.
A mining community associated with the Keystone Mill, operated in the 1890s. There was a Keystone post office from 1893 to 1897.
LAWLER (Government Junction)
Railroad station located at the junction of the Six Companies RR and the Bureau of Reclamation RR. Named for H.J. Lawler, a director of Six Companies.
Lincoln City was a town laid out in 1901. While Lincoln City was promoted heavily and lots were sold, only one store was constructed. The town was named for Lincoln County as Clark County was formed several years later.
The lower concrete mixing plant during construction of Boulder Dam. It was on the Six Companies RR in the bottom of Black Canyon, about a mile above the dam site.
A railroad siding and former railroad community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR in the Las Vegas Valley.
LUCKY JIM CAMP (Lucky Camp)
A camp in Eldorado Canyon during the Civil War.
LUCKY STRIKE CAMP
Camp associated with the Lucky Strike Mine, located to the north of the Lucky Strike Mine. Some evidence of the camp remains.
Mandolin was an upstart community planned near Sandy in 1908. Several lots were sold and a small tent community developed but soon faded.
A mining camp and mill in the Eldorado Canyon Mining District, active in 1896.
The name of a pre-construction tent store and "hoping for work at the dam site" camp. The name commemorates the McKeever family who operated the tent store. McKeeversville has been engulfed by Boulder City.
1910 summer home area in Lee Canyon.
MEAD LAKE (Nepac)
The railroad siding at the end of the Moapa Valley branch of the Union Pacific. The railroad had run to Saint Thomas but was dismantled back to Mead Lake as Lake Mead approached in 1938. A post office named Nepac was established in June 1938, name was changed to Mead Lake in October 1939, and closed in December 1942.
MIDWAY (Midway City, Jericho, Pittman)
Community that developed along the road to Boulder Dam construction site in 1930. Jericho Heights was soon platted on an adjacent ranch. Today, it is part of the City of Henderson.
A camp along the Colorado River near Laughlin.
MILL POINT (Simonsville)
An original Muddy River settlement between Overton and Saint Joseph. Named for a grist mill erected at the site, the community later took the name Simonsville, for Orrawell Simons. He built a second mill at the location.
A town about a mile northeast of the town of Crescent active at the turn of the century.
Railroad siding on the Hoover Dam Construction RR. Named for Morrison Knudsen, one of the members of the Six Companies.
An 1905-1908 itinerant community or tent town located east of Las Vegas.
NOB HILL (Nob Hill Camp)
An early mining camp near Nob Hill, south of Nelson.
Community on the bluff overlooking present day Overton.
A railroad station established in June 1907 on the Las Vegas and Tonopah RR. Lumber was hauled from a saw mill in Lee Canyon to Owens where it was shipped to the mining camps of Rhyolite and Skidoo.
Former flag station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake and siding on the Union Pacific. Located between Bracken and Arden, west of Boulder Junction. Siding was removed in 1949. Little evidence remains.
A promotional scam that led to the formation of a town in 1904 near the future site of Platina but which was fairly quick abandoned. Platinum was discovered in 1914, a rare commodity. Platina was the main town of half a dozen that sprang up. By 1915, the town had many businesses and 200 people. However, most was false promotion and when very little was produced, the town was abandoned by 1918. Only foundations remain.
Thought to be the site of the oldest lode mine in Nevada having been discovered in 1847 although little was done. It wasn't until 1861 that serious mining began and the town of Potosi came into being. A camp of 100 formed but mining ceased in 1863. Little activity until 1906 when zinc mining began. During ensuing years, Potosi was Nevada's largest producer.
A mill, mine and camp associated with the Quartette mine. The mine was located a two mile south of Searchlight and connected to the mill located on the Colorado River by a narrow gauge railroad. The camp appears to be associated with the mill, not the mine and it had a post office from Sept. 15, 1900, to Sept. 15, 1902. The mill site is now under Lake Mohave.
Town associated with the Quo Vadis Mine. The mine was operated from 1905 to 1935. The community was short-lived. It had two competing saloons in 1915 but little trace remains today.
One of the communities near Sandy that was competing to be the mining hub of Sandy Valley. Ripley snarfed the post office from Sandy September 23, 1910 and lost it to Platina on January 8, 1916 at the height of the Platinum Frenzy. Keystone, Sandy, Platina, and Ripley were all in the immediate area of the Keystone Mill. That area is called Sandy today.
A station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake constructed in 1905. Now nothing but a siding on the Union Pacific RR remains.
ROOT (Root Camp)
A mining camp on the north side of Bonanza Hill, in the Goodsprings district. Named for S. C. Root who was actively mining on Bonanza hill at the time.
A siding on the Boulder City branch of the Union Pacific. Royson was located near where the BMI switching area leaves the main branch line. Royson predates Henderson by ten years.
SAINT ANNE (St Anne, Whitney, East Las Vegas)
A 1940s tent city just east of Whitney active during the construction of the BMI plant in Henderson.
Discovered in 1893 and a camp with a rowdy reputation developed. Mining ended in 1906. A number of buildings, mill remnants, and a cemetery are left.
Gold discovered in 1897. A rush began during 1898 and the boom peaked in 1907, with a rumored population of 5000. However the financial panic of 1907 permanently crippled the town. Only a handful of people were left by 1910 and only leasers worked the district. Total production of $7 million. Famous now as the childhood home of Nevada Senator Harry Reid, the town still exists and boasts a nice museum. A number of older structures still remain.
A ferry across the Colorado located at Cottonwood Island below Searchlight. Now under Lake Mohave.
Siding on the Six Companies Railroad two miles from Gravel Plant. Named for the director of construction for the Six Companies, Charles Shea.
A silver camp about six miles west of Overton. The camp was short-lived as the claims had been salted.
A still active mining community on the Union Pacific Railroad, the area, settled in 1912 and was developed in 1919. A post office, first named Ehret was established as Ehret on May 7, 1919, re‑named Sloan on Sept. 11, 1922 and continued until May 31, 1964, Interesting things can be found nearby but the mine property is actively patrolled.
Mormon settlement established in 1865 next to a fort. The entire town was moved to another location 3 miles away and by 1870, had a population of more than 300. However, Brigham Young ordered the Mormons out of Nevada in 1871 and the town was abandoned. During the 1880s, the area was resettled and renamed Logandale, which still maintains a population of around 100. A few old buildings still are left.
Mormon settlement settled in 1864. By 1870, the town had a population of 600. When Brigham Young recalled the Mormons in 1871, the town was abandoned although the Mormons came back in 1880 and soon had a population of more than 300. Residents relocated in the 1930s, primarily to Overton, when the waters of Lake Mead took over the town. Foundations are visible during times of low water.
Major water spot on the Old Spanish Trail, Stump Springs is located just east of the California Line. Interesting exploring but only rubble remains.
A locality and a station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR north of Jean. Sutor was named for radium district two miles to the west. Little remains of Sutor today.
Discovered in 1905, small rush developed and Sunset was born. However, ore deposits were hit or miss, mostly miss, and the camp died although limited production was made into the 1950s. But total production for all those years was only around $50K. A couple buildings and foundations remain.
A tent community during the construction of Hoover Dam, also a prohibition bar, casino and brothel located “on the other side of the Railroad Tracks under the first trestle on the Las Vegas side of Railroad pass”. The other side means the Dutchman Pass side, away from the Boulder Highway and the railroad is the Union Pacific Boulder City Branch. Nothing remains.
TOKYO (Tokio, Tokyo Siding, Virgin)
A railroad siding near Overton on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake, Saint Thomas branch. It was named for Japanese truck‑farmers who lived there.
A townsite on the west bank of the Colorado River, located below Bullshead Canyon and above Davis Dam. Town was plotted in July 1921 and is now under Lake Mohave across the river from Katherine Landing. Not to be confused with a later Tristate now renamed Laughlin.
A station on the Las Vegas and Tonopah RR near Tule Springs Ranch operated from 1907 to 1919.
A former flag station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake and now a siding on the Union Pacific Railroad.
VALLEY (Valley Siding)
A siding on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake, now Union Pacific Railroad between Lowell and Wann.
A small mining short-lived camp several miles northeast of Searchlight.
A railroad station and siding 5 miles north of Las Vegas. It was first called Stewart, but was renamed in honor of F. A. Wann, Traffic Manager of the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR. Wann is now a major switching location for the Union Pacific.
WEST END (West End Chemical)
A mine and small community located in 1921 and mined from 1922 to 1928. Today, only foundations and rubble remain.
Small Mormon settlement established in 1867. Poor conditions led to a complete evacuation in 1870. Rubble marks the site.
A long abandoned siding on the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake, Saint Thomas Branch. White was located between Jackman and Amber.
WILLIAMSVILLE (Ragtown, Hells Hole)
The tent town community was occupied by dam workers and their families before Boulder City was created. The encampment was named after Claude Williams, a government employee hired to watch over things here. Williamsville is now under Lake Mead.
YELLOW PINE (Yellow Pine Mine)
Community associated with the Alice and Yellow Pine mines and the terminus for the Yellow Pine Mining Company Narrow Gauge Railroad that ran from Jean to the mine.