Click on Photos to view that site's available photographs!
All sites listed in the Nye County list have been personally visited!
More detailed history and concise directions are available in my book
"Preserving the Glory Days: Ghost Towns and Mining Camps
of Nye County, Nevada"
Click here for Nye County Ghost Town Maps
Originally named Sharp after Thomas Sharp who settled here in 1870s. Post office active from 1901 to 1953. Renamed Adaven, Nevada spelled backward, in 1939. Ranch is still active and a number of old buildings remain.
Post office from 1911 to 1912. Nothing remains.
AMARGOSA (Johnnie Station) Photos
Important stop on the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad. Main shipping point for Johnnie and Greenwater, to the south. By 1904, a number of buildings were at Amargosa. After the completion of the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad to the south in 1907, Amargosa lost most of its importance. By 1914, town still had 25 people but by 1915, completely abandoned. Only the concrete foundation of the station remains.
Water stop on Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad from 1906 to 1928. Nothing remains.
ANTELOPE (Clear Creek)(Crockers Ranch) Photos
Served as a ranch since the early 1870s. When mining began at nearby Danville, Stargo, and Lauville, Antelope became the congregation point in the valley. Post office from 1904 to 1908. The ranch is basically abandoned although a local ranch uses the main ranch house occasionally during roundups. Many buildings still remain and this little know site is definitely worth the trip.
ANTELOPE SPRINGS (Monte Cristo)
Discovered in 1903. Also only water for miles around. Camp formed in 1911. After rich ore was discovered, camp bloomed to 150 by 1912. Difficulty in transporting ore doomed Antelope. By 1914, camp abandoned. Revival from 1925 to 1930. Now inside of the Nellis Air Force Bombing and Gunnery Range and off-limits to the public.
Flash in the pan camp that sprang up during the summer of 1904 and died a couple of months later. Nothing remains.
ARROWHEAD (Needles) Photos
Organized in 1919. At its peak, close to 100 people lived here. By 1922, severely declining. Post office from 1919 to 1924. Completely abandoned shortly after. Only building left is blacksmith shop. Concrete foundations and other rubble remain.
ASHMEADOWS (Clay Camp)(Fairbanks Ranch) Photos
Formed as a stage stop for people heading to strikes in Bullfrog District. Greenwater boomed led to construction of hotels, restaurants and a saloon in the early 1900s. Clay deposits were discovered here in 1910 and operated for many years. Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad built spur to clay pits. By 1925, town had a steady population of 50. From 1927 to 1929, pits produced $1 million in clay. Work continued through 1948. Total production: $2.9 million. Pits worked again from 1976 to 1986. Buildings from Ashmeadows were removed but still stand on some nearby ranches. Part of the Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.
Water stop on Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad. Nothing remains.
ATHENS (Juniper Springs)(Warrior Mine) Photos
Discovered in 1910, was active off and on until 1939. Main producer was the Warrior Mine. A few buildings are left along with mill foundations.
ATWOOD (Okey Davis)(Fairplay)(Gilt Edge)(Edgewood)
Formed in 1901 after gold was discovered. Peak population of 200 but abandoned by 1908. Some limited activity through 1959. Only piles of rubble and foundations are left.
First formed in 1874, although initial discoveries
made in 1867. By 1875, had a population of 175 but by 1878, abandoned. After this initial
boom, only sporadic activity took until 1917 when the town's most significant production
took place. A company spent $300K on development and improvements, including a 10-stamp
mill. But the company folded in 1923. Total production: $1.6 million. A number of stone
and adobe ruins remain. A few wood cabins from the 1920s are left as are the mill
foundations. Barcelona is well worth the trip.
BAXTER SPRING (Baxter's)(Cedar Spring) Photos
Stop on the Wells Fargo Westgate to Belmont line, established in 1867. A small little camp existed until the 1880s. Gold was discovered in 1905 and a small tent camp immediately sprang up. By the summer of 1906, 400 people were here. However, by the end of the year, the gold disappeared and Baxter was completely abandoned. Scattered stone ruins and foundations mark the town site.
Ranch established here in 1870. Town's namesake, Beatty, moved here in 1896. As nearby Rhyolite and Bullfrog grew in 1904, a small settlement began to form at Beatty. Served as the supply depot for the Bullfrog district. During 1906 and 1907, population was 1,000. The Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad arrived in 1906 and the Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad in 1907, quickly followed by the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad. Later, one by one the railroads folded, the last in 1940. Beatty is not a ghost town at all but is included because of its interesting history and the number of buildings that remain from the early days.
BELLEHELEN (Henry) Photos
Discovered 1904, town site of Henry platted 1906. A 20-stamp mill built but camp abandoned by 1908. Revived in 1909 and $500K produced before ending in 1911. Another from 1917 to 1924. New 100-ton mill built 1927 but only operated intermittently until closing in 1929. Ruins remain at Bellehelen town site with numerous other remnants scattered around a wide area at the different mines.
(See Past Profile section)
One time prominent town founded in 1897. By 1905, had population of 300. Abandoned by 1918. Limited mining activity took place during the 1920s but mill dismantled in 1947. Total production $850,000. Extensive remains are part of the Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park. Many buildings kept in a state of arrested decay, including huge mill, assay office, and miners' cabins.
Diatomaceous earth was heavily mined here although a camp never really formed. Nothing remains except large wholes where the earth was removed.
BLAKE'S CAMP (Taylor)
Short-lived gold mining camp that sprang up in 1905 and had a population of 25. Abandoned within 16 months. Taylor formed in 1922 after new discoveries brought 50 to the area. But once again, abandoned by the end of the year. Only wood scraps and collapsed shaft mark the site.
BLUE EAGLE SPRING Photos
Originally homesteaded in the 1860s. Had a store, blacksmith shop, saloon, and station house. Ranch still active and a few original buildings remain.
Obscure stage station on the Ione-Austin line. Post office from 1907 to 1908. Small camp had population of 150 during summer of 1906 but everyone was gone by winter. Nothing at all remains.
BONNIE CLARE (Clare)(Clair)(Thorp's Wells)(Thorp)(Montana Station)(Summerville)(Gold Mountain) Photos
Stamp mill built in 1880s led to formation of camp at Thorp's Wells. Slow growth over the next 20 years. Another mill built in 1904. 1906 Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad arrived. Main shipping center for Gold Mountain mines. 1907 Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad arrives. The Rhyolite collapsed killed Bonnie Clare. By 1911, only 50 left. Last railroad service ended in 1927. By 1931, population was 2. A mill operated here from 1951 to 1952. After, Bonnie Clare was ghost for good. Very interesting ruins. Some complete buildings and many stone ruins. Mill ruins are interesting to explore. Worth the trip.
Short-lived camp that formed after the turn of the century. Population never over 15. Only lasted a year before folding. Only a small tailing pile remains to mark the site.
Horse changing stop on Eureka-Belmont wagon road beginning in 1875. Abandoned in 1880s. Nothing remains.
BREEN RANCH Photos
Breen Ranch was a small ranch located north of Silver Bow and came into existence as a supplier for the boom town just after the turn of the century. When Silver Bow died, the ranch was abandoned. Some ruins remain.
Discovered in 1906 and named for the famed Lost Breyfogle Mine. Quick camp formed and then died the same summer. A couple of cabins built then remain.
Browne's Camp was short-lived camp that sprang up in 1907 and folded a couple years later without producing a thing. Nothing remains.
BULLFROG (Bonanza)(Amargosa City) Photos
Formed after discoveries in 1904 by Shorty Harris and Ernest Cross. Originally Bonanza, the Bullfrog town site was established in November, 1904. In a constant competition with Rhyolite which always overshadowed Bullfrog. The town peaked in 1905 and after, Rhyolite drained the people away. May, 1906, the last business closed. Most of Bullfrog has disappeared today but is still very interesting. The Bullfrog-Rhyolite cemetery is the highlight and a must see.
BUTTERFIELD SPRING (Haystacks) Photos
Indians used the site long before the whites came in 1867. Homesteaded by Henry Butterfield. The springs boast a unique strain of chub. Ranch still active and original buildings, including sod-type structures, remain.
CACTUS SPRINGS (Camp Rockefeller)
First worked in 1901. Various mining ventures had limited success to 1919. Major work done during 1919 and 1920 but little production. All activity ended by 1935. Total production: 100K. On the Nellis Air Force Bombing and Gunnery Range and is off-limits to the public.
Water stop on Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad from 1906 to 1918. Nothing of interest remains.
CARRARA (Arista)(Gold Ace)(Hollywood) Photos
Marble, a rare commodity in Nevada, was discovered here in 1904. Production began in 1911. 3 mile railroad spur built in 1913. Town site established on flat below quarry. Shipment was made from siding on Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad. Town peaked in 1915 and 1916. When the railroad stopped running in 1918, Carrara's future was doomed. Some gold was discovered just to the north in 1928 that led to the formation of Arista but it folded by 1929. Not much activity has taken place since then. Nothing substantial remains. A lone chimney is the marker. Collapsed and crumbled buildings abound.
Small silver camp of 15 that formed in 1909 but abandoned by 1910. Off-limits to the public, on Bombing and Gunnery Range.
One of a number of camps that sprang up around Manhattan during the early 1900s. Gold discovered here in 1906. Many buildings built and the town had a population of 100 but the growth of Manhattan killed Central. Most buildings were moved there and the town was abandoned. Not much is left today.
CENTRAL CITY (Irwin)(Seymour)
Formed in 1870s. Faded but revived in 1880s and population reached 25 but was abandoned by 1883. Revived in 1905 and small camp existed until 1914. Occasionally worked in 1930s and 1950s. Three cabins, from the 1930s, remain. A couple old stone ruins also are left.
Station and later mining camp on Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad but completely abandoned when railroad folded in 1918. Only wood rubble remains.
Water stop on Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad from 1906 to 1918. Served as supply depot and shipping point for Carrara. Nothing remains.
Discovered 1932. Camp formed, buildings moved in from Beatty and Tonopah. Lots of activity and little production. A 20 ton mill built in 1935 but place was abandoned by 1937. No activity after that. Site is off-limits to the public having been incorporated into the Test Site.
CLEAR CREEK MINING DISTRICT
Formed in 1907 after initial discoveries in May 1906. Little produced and completely abandoned since the teens. Small mine dumps left.
Discovered in 1905. Within two weeks, camp had formed. By the end of 1906, population stood at 100. Peaked in 1908 with 100 houses and businesses but mining ceased during 1909. Revival began in 1925 which lasted until 1929. Total production: $750K. Only one building remains.
Stage station on the Belmont road beginning in the 1860s. By 1872, many stage lines came through here. Large stone station built in 1880. Post office from 1888 to 1899. Automobile age ended need for station. The ranch is still in operation and contains many old and interesting buildings.
CRAIG STATION (McKeehan Station)
Established in 1860s as stop on Ellsworth road, later stop on Ellsworth-Downieville stage line. Stage station still stands at site.
First homesteaded in 1868. During 1870s, served as supply point for Tybo. Post office from 1883 to 1922, and 1926 to 1943. Fairly consistent population of 50. Mining has taken place nearby since the teens but little production. Only a few wood cabins remain from the old days. A cemetery is located north of town.
DANVILLE (Chloride Mining District) Photos
Organized in 1866, not developed until 1870. Peak of 35 people. All operations shut down in 1882, only five people left. Revival in 1883, 25 men back. No activity until 1909, active until 1914. Total production: $43K. Scattered ruins and one stone cabin remain.
DARROUGH HOT SPRINGS (Hot Springs) Photos
Fremont visited the springs in 1845 and later a stage station was established in 1860s to serve the Belmont-Austin line. Bought by James Darrough in early 1880s. Later built a hotel which operated until the teens. Stage station still stands and is in excellent condition. Springs are available for a small fee.
DEATH VALLEY JUNCTION (Scotty's Junction)
For years, just the turnoff to Death Valley. In 1920s, Pacific Coast Borax built mill and company town here. At its peak, population was as high as 100. Folded during the Great Depression. Later a gas station, restaurant and motel operated but it burned in 1970s. Mill foundations remain.
DEEP WELL STATION (Black Cabin Well)
Served as a stop on the Downeyville to Wellington stage during the 1870s. Faint foundations of station remain.
DIAMOND QUEEN Photos
DOWNEYVILLE (Downieville) Photos
Discovered by Downey brothers in 1877, by 1878 population more than 200. Big boom, then big bust. By 1885, only Downeys left. Small revivals in 1901 and from 1923 to 1927. Extensive stone ruins left. More than 30 stone building remnants. Well preserved remains at Downeyville Mine. Well worth the trip.
DULUTH (Stratford) Photos
Formed as a suburb of Phonolite in 1906. Post Office during 1907 and newspaper, Duluth Tribune. District was empty by the end of 1908. Some mines worked off and on during the teens and 1920s. Only a few dugout cabins remain.
EAST MANHATTAN Photos
Sprang up in 1906. By summer, 75 residents, but veins were shallow and camp abandoned by end of the year. A shaft and hoist house, re-furbished in the 1950s, remains along with an original powder house.
EDEN (Gold Belt) Photos
Ore discovered in 1905. By end of year, camp had 40 people. Abandoned by summer of 1907. Revived in 1921, six houses moved here and population was 25. Long revival, mill built in 1928, and another in 1938. Forced to close during World War II and Eden was abandoned. Extensive and interesting remains. Buildings still stand amid other ruins. Mill foundations and small cemetery are located nearby. Worth the trip but bring extra gas, very remote.
ELLENDALE (Monitor)(Lucky Strike)(Electrum)(Perkup) Photos
Gold discovered in 1909. Within weeks, 400 people at camp. $50K produced in 1909. Newspapers in Rhyolite and Tonopah labeled town a swindle. Groundless but curtailed most interest in Ellendale. Active until 1912. Production from 1909 to 1912: $100K. Some minor work conducted during the 1920s and 1930s which led to the quick formation and abandonment of the camps of Monitor, Lucky Strike, Electrum and Perkup. Glidden Paint Co. mined barium from 1939 to 1949. Not much remains besides collapsed buildings.
ELLSWORTH (Upper Weston)(Summit City)(Mammoth)(Corrine) Photos
Early town first discovered in 1863. Post office opened in 1866. Camels were used for a period to haul ore. By 1874, boom collapsed and only twenty people were left. Post office closed in 1884. Small revival beginning in 1906 and $56K produced before mines closed in 1916. Some limited activity from the the 1920s until 1944. Total production: $800K. Buildings (occupied) remain as do a number of stone buildings and mill foundations. Good site to visit.
FRAZIER WELLS (Frazier Springs) Photos
Short-lived stage stop during the boom at nearby Ray. In 1901, a small camp of ten formed here and a saloon and store opened. After Ray folded in 1903, so did Frazier Wells. A few tall trees mark the site and little remains of the camp.
Tungsten discovered in 1926 led to formation of Brucite. In 1936, Basic Ores took over and the company remained active until the 1990s. World War II led to a huge boom in the area. Basic Ores was renamed Basic Magnesium (BMI). By the early 1940s, Gabbs' population was more than 400. That population has remained fairly constant through the years. Recently, both BMI and FMC Gold Company have curtailed or slowed production and Gabbs is hoping for a revival someday soon. Many buildings are left.
GEORGES CANYON (Fresno)(Marsh)
Limited activity from 1903 to 1931. Total production: $25K. One stone building and mill ruins remain.
Small stage stop on Ione-Austin line during the 1860s. Post office operated for a few months in 1866. Nothing remains.
GLOBE MINING DISTRICT (Kelly's Well)(Nickolay Camp)
District organized in 1883 but mines abandoned by 1888. Some activity from 1905 to 1911. Mine dumps and old cabins remain and are scattered throughout the district.
GOLD BAR Photos
Mining camp in Bullfrog district that formed in 1905. Town site laid out in November 1905. 10 stamp mill built 1908. Camp grew to 50 but mill closed in May 1908. Camp abandoned and nothing took place after that. Rubble and mill foundations mark the site.
Important terminus for three railroads during the early 1900s. Town site platted in 1904. Town peaked in 1907 with a population of 100. Decline at Rhyolite forced Gold Center to decline. By 1911, only 25 left. Town died when Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad closed in 1918. Main ruins are of brewery and mill. Not much else.
Discovered in 1904. By end of summer, 200 miners in camp. 300 lots sold at the town site but town was abandoned by the end of 1905. 20 ton mill built in 1914 but little success. Total production: 100K. Off-limits, on Test Site.
GOLDEN (East Golden)
Discovered in 1902, camp didn't form until 1906. Fifty people during 1906. Limited production, still 30 in 1910, but by 1913, abandoned. Placers were worked during the 1930s. Occasional activity during 1940s and 1950s. Total production $30K. Only a partially collapsed cabin and head frame are left.
GOLDEN ARROW (Longstreet) Photos
Discover in 1905. Town site laid out in 1906. Population of 200. 50 ton mill built. Small deposits and empty by 1909. Some small revivals in the teens, 1920s, and 1930s. Site of large leaching operation in the 1970s. Most of remains destroyed during this time. Mine ruins and a few buildings remain.
GOLD FLAT (Nixon)
Flash in the pan town that sprang up in late 1904 and abandoned by the summer of 1905. Off-limits to public, on Test Site.
Small mining complex that grew around the Gold Hill Mining Company built a mill in 1927. All operations ceased in 1933. Some of the mines worked off and on until 1942. Total production from 1930 to 1942: $1 million. Mine hoist and mill foundations are left.
GOLD POINT Photos
A general ranching region north of Currant. Many abandoned ranches in area. Interesting buildings abound.
GOLDYKE (Tom Burns Camp) Photos
Town formed in 1905. Had newspaper during 1907. Post office from 1906 to 1910. Abandoned by 1911 except for Tom Burns. Remained through 1940s trying to find another rich vein. Only scattered debris and ruins of 5-stamp mill remain.
First discoveries in July 1922. Initial assays at $900/ton. Veins exhausted by 1923. In 1940s, tungsten discovered and Gabbs Exploration Co. mined here from 1945 to 1958. Company town of Douganville formed with a steady population of 35. Extensive remains are left at Victory Tungsten mine.
Mining district established in 1868. By 1869, population over 100 and a number of businesses. Abandoned soon after 1870. Revival in early 1880s brought 25 back but empty by 1884. Nothing since. A few stone ruins from the 1860s and a couple of cabins built in the 1930s or 1940s as summer lodges remain. Site is interesting and worth a stop.
Very prominent early town in Nye County. Discovered by P.A. Havens in 1863. Town of fifty quickly formed but by 1867, was empty. Huge revival began in 1877. By 1878, population was 1,000. Town faded during the 1880s. In 1880, Alexander Co. curtailed operations after producing $1.25 million. By 1884, population had shrunk to 400. 1886, 50. Limited production kept town barely alive until 1897. Post office closed. Small revival from 1921 to 1923. Quiet until 1939. Short revival produced $100K before ending in 1941. Some activity in late 1940s but nothing since. Remains of Grantsville are some of the best in Nye County. A number of buildings remain and many ruins. A small cemetery is nearby the town site. A definite must see.
GREEN SPRINGS (Iron Bed Springs)
Short-lived camp that sprang up during 1907. Tent camp of 50 formed. Post office opened then closed in 1908 when camp was abandoned. Only small dumps left.
HANNAPAH (Silverzone)(Silver Glance)(Volcano)(Bannock)(Sylvanite) Photos
First discovered in 1902. Town site established but abandoned by 1907. Ore found at Volcano in 1913, just to north. Sylvanite also boomed for a short time. By 1917, both abandoned. Hannapah mine reopened from 1915 to 1921. Last revival began in 1927. By 1929, all activity ended. A few wood buildings, mine hoisting works, and scattered ruins remain.
Harriman formed by miners from nearby Eden Creek in 1907. Small camp never exceed 25 residents. Activity ended in 1911. Ruins of boardinghouse mark the site.
HICK'S HOT SPRINGS
Grading camp of the Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad in 1907, later used as water stop for railroad until 1928. Presently, business active for use of the hot springs.
HICK'S STATION Photos
Stop on the Warm Springs to Eureka, and Tybo to Eureka, stage lines during the 1870s and 1880s. A number of buildings remain behind "No Trespassing" signs.
Offshoot camp of Clifford, formed in 1908. Camp died in 1911 and nothing remains.
HOT CREEK Photos
Discovered in 1866, by 1868, population was more than 300. Strikes in White Pine County took most residents away. Large stone hotel built in 1875. Small revival in 1880 and 1881. Production from 1867 to 1881 was $1 million. Mines reworked from 1897 to 1912. Hot Creek abandoned after 1912. Many of the original buildings remain, including the large hotel. A number of fascinating old charcoal kilns are left up in the canyon.
Small short-lived off shoot camp of nearby Midas. Only prospectors resided here but no mining took place. Large cabin remains, nothing else.
Small camp that formed in early 1900s. Had population of 15 before emptying in 1910. Off-limits to public, on Test Site.
Formed in 1865 around 10-stamp mill built just north of San Antonio. Peak population of ten. Pioneer mill shut down in 1868 and moved to Northumberland. Only rubble remains.
IONE (Ione City)(Midas) Photos
Formed in 1863 as a result of discoveries in nearby Union Canyon. By 1864, citizens demanding Ione become new county seat. At the time, town had 600 residents and more than 100 buildings. Became first county seat of Nye County. However, new boom at Belmont in 1867 took county seat status away. By 1868, population down to 175. By 1880, down to 25. A new mill built in 1896 revived town and population rose to 75. By 1898, up to 175, but drop in silver price forced company to fold. Not much activity until 1912 when three companies began operations. Town soon had 100 people again but revival ended in 1914. Nearby mercury mines kept the town alive during the 1920s and 1930s and Ione still had 45 people in 1945. Today, only a handful of people still live there. It is a sleepy town that retains its pioneer flavor and it boasts an abundance of interesting buildings. A few false front buildings, a schoolhouse, and numerous stone cabins are the highlights. A definite must for any ghost town buff.
JACKSON MINING DISTRICT (Gold Park)(Barnes Park)(North Union)
First discovered by Tom Barnes in 1864. Active until the 1880s. Scattered miners and no real organized camp. 10-stamp mill built in 1881 but closed in 1883. Another mill, built in 1896, operated until the teens. District finally abandoned in 1940s after producing $1 million. No buildings are left but extensive mill ruins make for interesting exploration.
Water stop on Bullfrog-Goldfield Railroad from 1906 go 1928. Nothing remains.
Formed in 1908 and quickly had population of 100. Big promotional blitz but town abandoned by 1911. Off-limits to public, on Test Site. Visitor in 1930s reported three buildings standing.
JEFFERSON (Millville) Photos
Initial silver discoveries in 1865. Jefferson boomed after two 10-stamp mills were built in 1874. Peaked in 1875 and 1876. $1.5 million produced. From 1877 to 1882, however, only 40 tons of ore mined. Since then, many attempts made to revive Jefferson's mines but only met with minor success. Abandoned for good in 1933. Total production: $2.3 million. Extensive remains make Jefferson one of the more fascinating places in Nye County. A definite must!
JETT (Argentore)(Silver Point)(Garrard)(Davenport)(Birmingham)(Gibraltar) Photos
Discovered in 1875. By 1877, camp of 20 had formed. Post office opened in 1880 but closed in 1881. After a slow period, the camp revived in 1890, and the post office reopened, but it closed again in 1891. Not much happened until 1912 when a new discovery led to the formation of Birmingham but folded in a couple of years. Another discovery in 1919 led to a new camp forming, Gibraltar. By 1925, the district was completely abandoned. Total production: $200K. A cabin and mine workings remain in a beautiful canyon.
Discovered 1891. By May, 100 miners here. 10 stamp mill built in 1895 but closed soon after and camp emptied. New strikes in 1989 brought 50 back but activity ended in 1899. Revival from 1905 to 1914. Population peaked at 100. Revivals took place in the 1920s and 1930s, but not much activity after that. Numerous buildings remain at Johnnie and are being restored by residents.
JOHNNIE MINE (Labbe Camp)(Yount Camp) Photos
Johnnie Mine discovered in 1901. 16 stamp mill built in 1908. Mine produced $4 million from 1910 to 1914. Active until 1924. Revival from 1937 to 1942. Another $1.6 million produced. Total production: 10 million. Extensive remains at Johnnie Mine. Mill is well preserved. Many buildings are left. All remains are on private property.
Served as a stop on the Austin-Belmont stage line in 1870s. Post office from 1873 to 1906. Ranch is still active and old buildings remain.
KAWICH (Gold Reed) Photos
First discovered in 1903 but camp didn't develop until 1905. Lack of water a problem. However 400 men came despite warnings trying to discourage coming to Kawich. Totally abandoned by 1908. Short revival in 1929. Site off-limits, on Test Site.
KEYSTONE (Florence)(Rattlesnake) Photos
Formed in 1868. Company town of Old Dominion Mining Co. Camp peaked at a population of 50. Mines were operated intermittently until 1885. From 1910 to 1926, a large mill processed ore from the local area and Keystone had a population of 25. Post office from 1912 to 1927. Large cyanide leaching operation in the 1970s and 1980s obliterated the mill site but a number of old stone buildings remain. Worth the trip!
KILN CANYON Photos
Site of a number of charcoal kilns used by nearby Tybo during the late 1860s and 1870s.
A small milling camp that grew around the Knickerbocker Mill, built during 1865. The mill operated from 1866 to 1875. During the following 30 years, the mill was occasionally refurbished and used but for only short periods. Today, the beautiful stone walls of the mill make it worth a visit.
Click below for more Nye County Ghost Towns
Nye County List L-Z