I have not personally visited all the ghost towns on this list. Storey County will be the subject of a future book of mine but current conditions listed, if not visited by myself, are reports from fellow ghosttowners or other literary sources. For additional information, consult Stanley Paher's Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps.
AMERICAN CITY (Comstock)
Gold and silver were discovered in 1860. By the mid-1860s, a large town had developed but was abandoned by 1867. A new mill was built in 1920 and mining took place until 1926. The mill shell and numerous foundations remain.
Devil's Gate developed in 1959 and was only the second recognized mining district in the Utah Territory. While its population reached around 200 during the 1860s, the decline of Virginia City in the late 1870s led to the abandonment of the town. Numerous ruins and a couple buildings remain.
GOLD HILL Photos
Actually discovered before Virginia City and its size rivaled that town for a few years. By 1873, had become a small city with a population of 8000. It had its own mines on this southern end of the Comstock Lode but after 1878, the mines declined and so did Gold Hill. By the turn of the century, less than 50 still lived here. The town has never been abandoned and the Gold Hill Hotel, the oldest in Nevada, is still in operation. Many other buildings remain including the old V & T RR depot which is being restored and is used by the revived railroad which caters to tourists.
Served as a toll station beginning in the early 1860s. A small town slowly developed. Served as a recreational spot for Virginia City because it had a couple horse racetracks. But when stage traffic declined, so did Lousetown. By the end of the 1870s, the town was abandoned. Foundations remain. The racetracks, though faded, are still visible.
MIDDLETOWN (The Divide)
During the 1870s, became a suburb of Virginia City with a population of more than 1000. While most population was gone by the turn of the century, people have continued to live here. Many old houses and other ruins remain.
SIX MILE CANYON (Flowery)
Became a milling center for Virginia City. Mills were active until the 1920s. Not much of a settlement ever really developed because of the proximity to Virginia City however numerous stone mill ruins and cabins are scattered throughout the canyon.
Virginia City is Virginia City. Not much more can be said about this most famous of Nevada mining towns. Two words say it all: Comstock Lode. First discovered in 1859, the rest is history. The town's population ranged as high as 75,000 in 1875. Today, it continues to be a vibrant town although mining ceased many years ago. It is the premier tourist town in Nevada. It retains much of its early flavor.