WHITE PINE COUNTY
Click on "Photos" to view that site's available photographs!
All sites listed in the White Pine County list have been personally visited!
More detailed history and concise directions are available in my book
"Romancing Nevada's Past: Ghost Towns and Historical Sites of Eureka, Lander, and White Pine Counties, Nevada."
ANTELOPE SPRINGS Photos
Served as a Pony Express station beginning in 1860. Station was burned by Indians and not rebuilt until Overland Stage began running. Overland used the station until 1869 which was part of the Hamilton-Elko line. Only a log building remains.
AURUM (Silver Canyon)(Doughberg)
Initially discovered in 1869. Camp of 50 developed but abandoned by 1873. Revived in 1878 but faded again in 1882. Serious revival that lasted until after 1900 began in 1887. Only occasional activity after 1906. Foundation and mill ruins mark the site. A cemetery is located on a small hill overlooking the townsite.
Short-lived camp that sprang up in 1868 during the Hamilton boom. Little was produced and the cold, high altitude camp was abandoned by 1869. Only sunken holes mark the townsite.
Name of a post office that served ranches in lower Jakes Valley from 1902 to 1907. Located at the Judd Ranch. Only scattered rubble remains.
Discovered in 1906. By summer, camp had a population of 400. Some of the richest ore ever in Nevada, $100,000 a ton, came from Black Horse. The veins, however, were very small. A constant battle to find new veins went on but by 1910, no more were found. The town emptied. Mines were worked periodically from 1938 to 1954. Total production of over $1 million. Only rubble and faint foundations are left. Because of the intensive search for the small veins, numerous shafts pockmark the site, beware!
BLAINE (Granite)(Campbell's Ranch)
Discovered in 1878 but not developed until 1894. A small camp formed but was abandoned by 1896. Revival from 1900 to 1909. Total production is $201K. Scattered remains.
BONITA (Snake District)
Initially discovered in 1869, it wasn't until 1913 that production occurred. A camp of 25 developed. Bonita was abandoned by 1920 after only producing $10K. Only mill ruins mark the site.
BOTHWICK (Botha Creek)
Stage station on the Lane City-Hunter stageline from 1877 into the 1880s. A ranching community developed with 13 families but the area was abandoned 1940. A schoolhouse struggles to stand. Stone foundations mark the station site. Numerous homesteads remain.
Short-lived camp that only existed in 1893 and 1894. A ranch operated during that time and supported a post office. Abandoned since 1900, nothing remains.
BUCK STATION Photos
Station on the Elko-Hamilton and Hill Beachy stages during the 1860s and 1870s. After the stages stopped, Buck Station became a prominent ranch which operated until the 1930s. Ranch house partially stands and an impressive horse barn remains. Well worth the trip!
BULL SPRING STATION (Bull Creek)
Station on Elko-Pioche stageline, located at the Bull Creek Ranch. The stage was abandoned in the 1880s but the ranch remains active. Old buildings, including the station house, still stand.
BUTTE STATION (Thieves' Delight)(Robbers' Roost) Photos
Served as a stop on the Pony Express, Overland Stage and Chorpenning Mail Line. Station was burned by Indians in 1860 but was quickly rebuilt. Parts of the walls remain.
CHERRY CREEK Photos
Prominent ore producer for more than 100 years. Discovered in 1872. By 1873, population of 400. However, slowdown hit in 1875 and most left. The town revived in 1880 and boomed bigger than ever. The Exchequer and Tea Cup mines alone employed 400. Peaked in 1882 with a transient population of 6000 and 1800 permanent residents. The financial crash of 1883 crippled the town. By 1890, population was down to 350. Three major fires destroyed large sections of Cherry Creek. Town revived in 1905 and population grew back to 450 before the revival ended in 1910. Some mines continued producing. Picked up in the 1920s with more than 200 miners employed. Since 1940, only occasional leasers have worked the mines. Total production is between $15 and $30 million. Cherry Creek is a must visit...many buildings still remain along the streets although a row of falsefronts sucumbed to flames in the 1980s.
ShoCLEVE CREEK (Kolcheck District)
Small mining camp that sprang up in 1923. Mine shut down in 1926. Idle until 1951. Active for about five years and no activity since then. Mine ruins remain.
CLEVELAND RANCH (Cleveland) Photos
Ranch established in the mid 1860s by A.C. Cleveland and Daniel Murphy. Still in operation today and many original buildings remain.
Gold discovered in 1903 and camp of 30 formed. Mill built and active until 1909. Abandoned every since. Ruins of wood cabins remain.
COLD CREEK (Cupperville)(Simonsen)
Ranch established in 1870s. Still an active ranch and several original buildings remain.
CONNER'S STATION (Connor's Station)(Rosebud)
Station on the Ely-Pioche stage during the 1870s. Nice station house built at 7700' pass. Abandoned when the stage stopped running. Only scattered rubble remains.
DUCK CREEK (Kent)(Success)(Peacock)
Sizeable ranching settlement established in the 1860s. During 1870s, 10 ranches in area. Four ranches are still active and the creek is home of the Duck Creek Fish Hatchery.
Began to boom in 1867 and became part of the White Pine Rush as did nearby Hamilton. Eberhardt Mine was the mainstay and in 1869, two large mills built and town had population of 200. After 1880, town declined and in 1885, all mines and mills shut down. Very little activity since. Massive mill ruins dominate site. Many building ruins also. A definite must visit.
EGAN CANYON (Gold Canyon) Photos
Station on the Pony Express and Overland Stage. Station was attacked by Indians in 1860 and three soldiers and 18 Indians were killed. Gold was discovered in 1863. Soon, more than 100 men were employed although virtually all lived in nearby Cherry Creek. Mines ran dry in 1882. Limited revival from 1890s to 1920s. Total production over 1 million. Foundations and graveyard mark the station site. Collapsed cabins, mine and mill ruins are scattered along the canyon.
EIGHT MILE STATION (Prairie Gate)
Stop on Overland Stage beginning in 1861. Station was burned in 1863 and was the flash point for the Overland War. Station was rebuilt and used until 1869. Clel Georgetta, prominent Nevada sheepman, established ranch around the turn of the century. He sold the ranch for the Goshute Indian Reservation. Dispute over what is actually old station. Many feel it is a collapsed log dugout with a stone corral.
FORT RUBY (Camp Ruby)(Hobson)
First settled in 1859 and trading post established. Served as station on Pony Express and Overland Stage. Fort Ruby built in 1862 and operated until 1869. A ranch was established on the abandoned site in 1870. Still active. In 1992, a fire destroyed the last two remaining fort buildings. Only foundations mark the fort. Stone ruins mark the Overland Stage station. The pony express station was moved to the Northeastern Nevada Museum in Elko.
GLENCOE (Well Annie)
Discovered in 1867. Continued small production into the early 1880s. Still had population of 34 in 1881. Revived in 1892 with 50 men employed. Abandoned by 1894 and no activity since. Faint ruins and mine dumps remain.
HAMILTON (Cave City) Photos
Town organized in 1868 because it offered the most level townsite near the rich discoveries on Treasure Hill. Town quickly had population of 600. By 1869, it was more than 10,000. But by 1870, population had dropped to 4000. A huge fire in 1873 destroyed most of the town and population dropped to 500. Another fire in 1885 burned most of what was left. County seat moved to Ely in 1887. Only rubble and stone walls are left along the once bustling main street. However, Hamilton and the surrounding towns on Treasure Hill are well worth the trip.
Discovered in 1879 but Hogum didn't form until late 1880s. Camp of 25 formed but was abandoned in the 1890s. Revived in 1911 and had 50 residents. Faded in the early teens. Ruins remain but nothing substantial.
Discovered in 1871. Town reached its peak in 1877 with 80 residents. Abandoned by 1884. Camp revived in 1904 and 100 men were employed. Operated until 1916 but only $80K was produced. Smelter ruins and wood shacks remain.
ILLIPAH (Moorman Ranch)(Dutch Jake Ranch)
Ranching complex established in the 1860s. Still an active ranch and original buildings remain.
JACOB'S WELL (Ivirs City)
Way station on the Pony Express during the last months of its existence. Later used by Hill Beachy and the Overland Stage. Only scattered stones mark the site.
JOY (Bald Mountain)(Water Canyon)
Discovered in 1869 although camp of Joy wasn't established until 1875. Population was 25. But by 1877, district basically abandoned and little was done until 1897. Consistent production and population of 50 until 1918. Scattered rubble, mine dumps and hoisting works mark the site.
KIMBERLY (Pilot Knob)(West Camp)
Rich copper discovered in 1877 but real boom began in 1900. By 1905, population of 100 and 1910, 200. By the 1920s, a permanent population of 500 lived in Kimberly. In 1959, the entire town was dismantled to make way for an open pit mine. Only the large hole remains to show Kimberly ever existed.
LEADVILLE (Irene)(Saw Mill Canyon)
Town lived and died in 1887. Camp of 25 formed but was abandoned by the end of summer. Scattered lumber and mine shafts remain.
Discovered in 1870 but mines abandoned within two years. Revivals 1917 - 1918 and 1941 - 1942. Total production is 80K. Mill ruins and mine dumps remain.
Town grew from the Ton Plane Ranch which was established in 1873. Located on the Hamilton-Pioche stage. Town grew to a population of 100 which it maintains today. Buildings from early years remain.
McGILL (Smelter)(Axhandle Springs)
A prominent ranch established in 1872 but greatly overshadowed beginning in 1906 by a huge copper smelting operation which employed 2200 men. A large company town developed. Smelter treated 15K tons of ore a day. Peak population was 3000 during the 1920s and 1930s. The smelter closed in the 1970s and 250 people still live there. Many interesting buildings remain.
Camp that formed after the Nevada Northern Railway came through but primarily was used as a shipping point for valley ranches. Still an active ranch.
Satellite mining camp of Hamilton established in 1869. 300 people flocked to the camp but the Mazeppa Mine dried up by the end of the year and nobody was left. Only mine dumps remain.
MINERAL CITY (Lane City)(Robinson Canyon)
Silver discovered in 1867. Population of 250 by 1870. Became the milling center for the surrounding districts. Peaked in 1872-73 with a population of 600. Very active until 1910. Wood and rock buildings, including the school, remain.
Tungsten discovered in 1884 but there was little demand. Extensive mining didn't begin until 1916. Company town of 200 developed. Shut down in 1918. Active again from 1936 to 1940 when $1.7 million was produced. A few buildings, mine dumps, and wooden rubble are left.
MONTE CRISTO Photos
One of the first camps in the White Pine District, established in 1865. By 1868, population of 150. All mines and mills closed in 1872. Old smelter stack and stone ruins remain.
Ranch established in the 1870s. Was still active until the 1960s. Crumbling ranch buildings struggle to stand.
Minor Pony Express station used during the last couple of months of operation. Used by the Overland Stage until 1869. Scattered stones mark the station site.
Small camp of 20 formed after ore was discovered in the early 1870s. Mines were active until the 1890s. Revival from 1908 to 1912 and from 1920 to 1923. A mill foundation and scattered rubble mark the site.
Silver discovered in 1866. Large mill built the following year. By 1874, 200 miners employed but the mine faded and closed the same year. Revival began in 1902 and lasted until 1908. Total production of $518K. Mill foundations, mine dumps and collapsed wood buildings are left.
Discovered in 1872. $300K produced in first two years. Extensive placer gold deposits found in 1877. The town grew to 600. Fire in 1890 started town's downslide. Still population of 100 in 1900. Revival from 1925 until 1932. Total production of $3.3 million. Mill and stone ruins are left. Extensive cemetery.
Station on the Toano-Pioche stage line during the 1870s. After, ranch was active until recently. Station still partially stands.
First discoveries made in 1869 and a mill built. Mines went bust in 1873. Little done until 1920. Soon, more than 100 men were employed. Active until 1936. Total production is $2.5 million. Many ruins remain.
Discovered in 1869 and a town of 100 quickly formed around the mines and smelters. A combination of shallow deposits and the completion of huge smelters in nearby Eureka shut down the town. By the 1880s, completely abandoned. Total production of $225K. Stone walls and mill foundations mark the site.
PINTO CREEK STATION (Sharmen's Station) Photos
Station on the Austin-Hamilton stage line. A small ranching settlement developed during the 1870s and the area had a population of 30. Active ranches remain with period buildings.
POGUE'S STATION (Pancake)
Station on the Palisade-Pioche stage line during the 1870s. A substantial adobe station was built in 1871. Faint adobe and stone walls remain.
Town formed as a Mormon settlement founded in 1876. Continues to be a ranching community with a population of 50. Several buildings from Preston's early days remain.
Small mining camp active during 1906 and 1907 with a population of 20. Scattered mine dumps mark the site.
Established in 1907. Rough house town alternative to Kimberly and Ruth. Peaked in population at 200 in 1909. A fire in 1917 only left two houses standing. Buildings rebuilt but town burned again in 1924. A handful of people still live there. Many buildings still remain.
Inn built here in 1870s for travelers on Ely-Hamilton stage line. After stages stopped, ranch operated for years but now abandoned. Only foundations, shed, and corral are left.
RUBY HILL (Medina)(Rubyville) Photos
First established in 1871. By 1872, population of 150. In 1873, litigation forced the closure of the mines and abandonment of the town. Limited production during the 1880s. Revivals from 1892 to 1895 and 1923 to 1928. Wood remains and mill foundations remain.
RUBY VALLEY STATION (Ruby Station)(Overland Ranch)
Station on the Pony Express. Large stone station built in 1860. Used by the Overland Stage until 1869. Scattered stones mark the Overland station. The Pony Express station was moved to Elko in 1960.
Company town established in 1903 next to a new copper mine. During 1909 and 1910, population grew to 500. Town continued to grow and had 2200 residents by 1928. The entire town was moved in 1958 to allow for expansion of the pit. However the mines have now closed and only a few people still reside here. Most of the buildings in Ruth are of more recent origin.
Short-lived camp that existed during 1911 and 1912 and boasted a mill to treat ore from nearby Black Horse. Nothing remains.
SCHELLBOURNE (Fort Schellbourne)(Schell Creek Station) Photos
Pony Express built a station here in 1860. After three were killed by Indians, Fort Schellbourne was established and used until 1862. The Overland Stage used the station until 1869. Mining made the place boom beginning in 1871. 400 residents by 1872. Strikes at Cherry Creek drained the town and many buildings were moved across the valley. Population down to 25 by 1884. Small ranch operates at the site but many beautiful stone and log buildings remain. A definite must!
SELIGMAN (Leadville) Photos
Discovered in 1886. Soon had many business including a Wells Fargo office. 100 residents by 1887, 200 by 1888. One by one, mines ran out of ore and by 1890, only 75 left, shrank to 50 by 1895. Totally abandoned by 1905. Stone ruins and foundations remain.
SHERMANTOWN (Silver Springs) Photos
Established in 1868. The town boomed in 1869 and became the milling center for the Treasure Hill mines. However, the bubble burst in 1870. Population dropped from 1000 to 200. By 1875, only 2 left. Impressive stone mill walls and smelter stacks mark the site.
Initially discovered in 1869, camp formed in 1880s. Local mining faded but most workers at nearby Minerva preferred to live in Shoshone which kept the town alive. Post office closed in 1959 and only a handful of people remain. Several buildings remain.
SIEGEL (Centerville)(Queen Springs)
Discovered in 1871 and camp formed in 1872 with a population of 75. Shallow deposits led to abandonment by 1874. Revival from 1903 to 1908. During the 1930s, the Forest Service destroyed the six of seven buildings from the 1870s. Mill ruins and stone foundations remain.
SPRING VALLEY STATION (Stone House) Photos
Station on the Overland Stage from 1862 to 1869. Later used by Woodruff and Ennor. Beautiful stone station house built. Station became a prominent ranch for many years. Stone station still stands complete with well in basement. Other buildings still stand.
Small satellite camp of Siegel that formed in 1872. Had a peak population of 25 before folding in 1873. Mill foundations and rubble mark the site.
Companion town of McGill that formed in the 1890s. Only had a peak population of 150. A fire in 1926 destroyed most of the town and it was never rebuilt. Site is covered by McGill's tailing piles.
Ranch established in the 1870s which was active until the 1970s. From the 1940s to the 1970s, a gas station and motel were in operation. Station ruins and buildings remain.
Ranching settlement established in the late 1860s. Once featured a 12,000 tree orchard and huge strawberry fields. Post office operated from 1899 to 1938. Ranch is still active and a number of original buildings remain.
Established in 1868. By the summer of 1869, 300 residents, by fall, 500. Ten stamp mill built. Peaked in 1870 but nearby Shermantown overshadowed the town and by 1875, Swansea was abandoned. Stone ruins and mill and smelter foundations mark the site.
Taft was a "wandering" post office from 1909 to 1917. It moved from ranch to ranch in Spring Valley.
TAMBERLANE CANYON (Nevada District)
Initial discoveries made in 1869. Little down until 1873 when new strike brought 40 men and a small townsite was established. Limited mining took place until the 1890s. $200K in manganese produced from 1907 to 1930. Total production of $400K. Only mill ruins remain.
Discovered in 1872. Town didn't boom until 1880 and peaked in 1993 with a population of 1500. Silver began to run out by 1885. Only a few people left by 1888 and most buildings moved to Ely. Limited leasing activity took place from 1918 to 1961. A large open pit mine was active during the 1980s. Mill ruins remain.
Ranch founded in the early 1880s although used as a horse changing stop for the Pony Express and Overland Stage during the 1860s. An active ranch today. The old stone horse barn still stands.
TREASURE CITY (Treasure Hill)(Tesora) Photos
Site of the huge White Pine Rush of the 1860s, Treasure City was established in 1867. An extremely cold high altitude town. By the end of 1869, two hundred mines and 10 mills were active on Treasure Hill. The town peaked during 1870 with a population of 500. In 1874, a huge fire destroyed most of the town and it wasn't rebuilt. Only 25 left by 1880. The Treasure Hill mines produced close to $20 million from 1867 to 1880. During the 1920s, another $1.5 million was produced. An open pit mine was active during the 1980s. The remains of Treasure City are spectacular and demand a visit from the true ghost towner.
TUNGSTEN MINES (Hub)(Lincoln)
Discovered in 1869 but nothing developed until 1900. A camp of 50 developed and was active until mining stopped in 1917 after $704K was produced. A couple of shacks, mill foundations and tailing piles mark the site.
Discovered in 1910, steady mining began in 1914. A camp of 25 formed. Everything shut down in 1918 and the town was abandoned. Revival from 1938 to 1942. Total production of $126K. Mill ruins and scattered rubble are left.
UVADA (Pleasant Valley)(Parker)
Spread out ranching community established in the 1890s. The three names are post offices that operated intermittenly at various ranches in the valley. Today, most of the ranches are abandoned and have many vintage buildings.
Copper was discovered here in 1906. A small town formed and served as the western terminus of the Nevada Northern Railway. However, the ore ran out in 1914 and all of the town's buildings were moved to Ruth. Only the huge open pit marks the townsite of Veteran.
Initial discoveries made in 1872. By 1875, Ward was largest town in White Pine County with a population of 1000. Town peaked during 1877 with a population of 2000. By 1880, vanishing ore deposits and the boom at Cherry Creek, shrank population to 250. By 1885, only 25 were left. Revival from 1906 to 1920 and Ward had a steady population of 50. A couple of buildings, smelter ruins, mill foundations, and an extensive cemetery remain.
Ranch established by Josh Yelland in 1908. Ranch is still in the Yelland family and several original buildings remain.